Cromer's Mill Bridge Sign - Commerce, GA
The Cromers settled on Nails Creek in Franklin County in 1945. Prior to the Civil War; the family operated a woolen mill near this site. Subsequently the area maintained a cotton gin, flour mill and saw mill, though all operations had eased by 1943. In 1907, the county contracted with james M. Hunt to build the present 110-foot bridge. Constructed in the Town lattie design, the bridge's web of planks crisscrossing at 40- to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection. Will Cromer, a descendant of the original family, built the stone abutments.